Royal Chapel

1 anmeldelse
There have been five chapels throughout the history of the Palace of Versailles, but today only the last of them remains – the Royal Chapel, the exterior of which can be seen from the entrance courtyard as it disrupts the otherwise symmetrical design of the palace. 

Although it was officially completed in the early 18th century under Louis XIV and consecrated in 1710, there continued to be improvements and renovations well into the 20th century. However, the majority of its use took place throughout the 1700s with daily masses, royal weddings – including that of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette - and birth announcements and baptisms.

Because the French monarchy was heavily entrenched in Catholicism, the chapel played a large part in Louis XIV's reign although today it is a deconsecrated space. Today classical concerts and other special events are hosted in the Royal Chapel, but it is closed for daily viewing by the public with the exception of VIP tours.
Location
Adresse: Chateau de Versailles, Place d’Armes, Versailles, France 78000, Frankrike
Les mer

13 turer og aktiviteter


Phone
Har du problemer med å bestille på nett?
+47 21 93 05 59
Ring +47 21 93 05 59