Prague was largely spared from the bombing that scarred other central European cities during World War II, but was attacked in error by the US Air Force on Feb. 14, 1945; many historic buildings were destroyed and several hundred Czechs were killed. The undulating, curvaceous Dancing House now stands on one of the former bomb craters, at the corner of a street overlooking the Vltava River. Designed by the architectural duo of Czech-Croatian Vlado Milunić and Frank Gehry (of Guggenheim Bilbao fame) and completed in 1996, the glass-and-concrete construction stands out among the city’s elegant Neo-Renaissance townhouses and was initially highly controversial in Prague for its extreme post-modern styling.
Now lovingly nicknamed the ‘Fred and Ginger House’ for its resemblance to two dancing partners embracing, the seven-story building is largely given over to offices but one floor has been taken by the cool, sleek and minimal Art Salon S, with a remit to promote young Czech artistic talent. On the top level is the panoramic Ginger&Fred restaurant, which serves up modern French cuisine and is blessed with superb views across the Vltava to Prague Castle.