New York City is paradise for food lovers: whether you're hungry for bagels or Buffalo mozzarella, NYC-style pizza or Burmese noodles, you're sure to find it in this capital of cuisine. Here's how to maximize every bite you take in the Big Apple.
Any New York City food experience worth its salt needs to start with the classic NYC food trinity: New York–style pizza, bagels, and hot dogs, all great grab-and-go snacks that are widely available all around town. Italian cuisine is another local favorite, so be sure to track down some cannoli or a meatball in neighborhoods like Little Italy and the Upper West Side. And for those looking for a quick taste of New York's diverse ethnic eats, look for one of the city's many curb-side food carts, which dole out everything from Middle Eastern falafel to Belgian waffles. Other foodstuffs like knishes (a dough-filled pastry) and soup dumplings also offer tasty samples of the city's rich Jewish and Chinese heritages.
- Walk the streets of Manhattan's Little Italy on a food tour, sampling Italian favorites like cannoli, fresh pasta, espresso, meatballs, and more.
- Savor the bohemian history of NYC on a Greenwich Village tour while snacking on local pizza and chocolate.
- Dig into a plate of Harlem's legendary soul food before heading to a happening nightspot for some live jazz or hip-hop music.
- Try some of the city's tastiest slices during an in-depth tour of NYC's best pizza spots.
- Explore the culture of New York's Russian community during a three-course lunch or dinner at the elegant Russian Tea Room.
- Escape Manhattan and discover the burgeoning food scene in Brooklyn, where you can sample everything from Polish pierogi to hipster-style, cold-brew coffee.