Do Temple, located in Dinh Bang Village 9 miles (15 kilometers) from Hanoi, was built during the Le Dynasty (1009 to 1225) and has become one of Vietnam’s most important and most visited temples. The uniquely Vietnamese temple is dedicated to the deities of eight kings of the Ly Dynasty, though the ninth and final ruler – a female – was left out. Ly Cong Uan, the first ruler of the Ly Dynasty, was responsible for bringing the capital to Thang Long in 1010.
Apart from its historical significance, the temple is also famous for its beautiful architecture. The temple grounds include a two-story floating stage on a large lake, once used for water puppetry and now used primarily for Quan Ho folk song performances.