The first settlers in Braşov were the Saxons, who came from present-day Germany, and the city became vulnerable to repeated raids by Turks and Tatars from the east. In the 15th century, the Saxons decided to fortify their city and built a 1.8-mile (3-km) defense wall that once wrapped around its medieval heart, was 39.5 feet (12 meters) high and 6.5 feet (two meters) thick. The wall was punctuated by seven sturdy bastions, which were guarded by Saxon guildsmen. Parts still stand today and sections can be walked; of the bastions several have also survived, including the Black and White Towers on the northern side of the Old Town. The five-story White Tower is semi-circular in shape and was finished in 1494; it perches on a hill high above the city and was the responsibility of metalworking guilds to protect. Although there’s a steep climb up 200 precipitous steps to get there, the views over the city rooftops from the battlements make it more than worthwhile.
Strada Dupa Ziduri. Admission 7 lei; children 2 lei; open Tue–Sun 10am–6pm.